Corona Letters #50

 



I was probably 22 at the time.

I was walking my parents' dog and stopped to talk to their neighbor.

I'm not sure why we started talking about abortion, but we did.

She told me how lucky I was that I lived in a time where a woman had the right to choose what to do with her body.  She told me a story about when she was in college (in the 60's) and she took a friend to get an illegal abortion.  It was her only choice.  It was scary, dirty, and the credentials of the clinician were sketchy at best.    Her friend was sick after the procedure but was scared to get help because abortion was illegal and she had committed a "crime".

"You are lucky" she repeated.

I am lucky.   For the entirety of my reproductive years I had the right to choose.   I will always be grateful for that.  But I'm greedy and I want that for my daughters, my nieces, and all the other young women I know.

It is my fervent wish that every woman who was "of age" before 1973 go deep inside herself and remember the women they knew, a college roommate, a relative, or even themselves, who found themselves in the most difficult of situations,  pregnant with no choices.   REMEMBER HER.  PLEASE.

Now remember all the women you knew post 1973 who were able to have legal abortions - friends, relatives or even yourself.    REMEMBER THEM.

I'm sure you will remember that this is not a decision anyone takes lightly.  It is not a decision that takes away pain.   There are a million reasons for this decision, some better than others, but having that choice has saved the lives of countless women, and, in this way, pro-choice can absolutely be pro-life.

Now think of the young women you currently know, the ones just coming into their reproductive years.  Think of your daughters, nieces, granddaughters, grand nieces, and other young friends.  Imagine one of them finding themselves pregnant at 16 with nowhere to turn, or pregnant with a fetus that will not live through birth, or enduring a pregnancy that puts their own life at risk.    Then think of that friend you knew in college, the one who got an illegal abortion.   Think of how she was willing to go through an illegal abortion because it felt like her only option.   Think of how scared she was to get help when she became sick after the procedure.   What would happen to her if she asked for help?

Abortion doesn't go away because it is made "illegal".  It just puts all the players at risk, including people you might love.

When you vote in November, remember that our current President is choosing a Supreme Court nominee who believes a woman should not have these choices, who believes a woman should complete a pregnancy no matter what it means for the unborn fetus, herself, or either of their futures.

When you vote in November, whether you are a man or woman, please remember all the women that have been and will be in your life.    

Please remember that there will always be women who find themselves in a position where a pregnancy needs to be terminated.   There will always be a way to make that happen, illegal or legal.   Which would you prefer for the one that you love?

Think about that when you vote.  Please!

Comments

Popular Posts