Corona Letters #37

The M*A*S*H thing

When my husband and I were first dating almost 30 years ago, I didn't know very much about Korea.
Here is my list of what I knew about Korea when I was 24:

It was in Asia
My childhood friend's family had adopted a little girl from Korea who ate a lot of rice.
The Korean War (just that there was a war, shady on the details of that war)
M*A*S*H

That was it.

My husband told me early in our relationship that he did not like the show M*A*S*H, and I was, in my white privileged bubble, surprised that he didn't like a show that took place in Korea, about Korea, that sometimes had Koreans in it.



Apparently, M*A*S*H didn't offer a fair portrayal of Koreans.  They were usually shown as poor, dirty and uneducated.   Also, unbeknownst to me, they sometimes used non-Koreans in the roles of Koreans and their ability to speak Korean well was mediocre at best.

Wait.  The Koreans weren't even Korean?

And so began my education about my own white privilege (although there was no word for this 30 years ago) and how to be an anti-racist.

I can honestly say that I have never, ever watched M*A*S*H again.  It wasn't even a hard thing for me to do.  How could I watch something that made someone I loved so uncomfortable?  Easy.

This has been a continuing education process for me.   Over the years,  the poorly executed portrayal of Asian characters has been pointed out to me in movies (i.e., Breakfast at Tiffany's), Broadway shows (i.e., South Pacific) and operas (i.e., Madame Butterfly).   There are many, many other examples.

I have noticed that when I've pointed out these things to other white friends over the years, I am frequently met with the "but it's such a good show/movie/opera" response.   In other words, "I'm going to like it anyway".   Hmmmm.

All this being said, I have not reached the peak of the anti-racist mountain, and as a privileged white woman, I doubt I ever will.   Even with all I have learned over the past thirty years, I still have far to go.

The Black Lives Matter movement has certainly illuminated this for me.

Recently, I came upon an article that there are some racial issues with the books/movies "The Help" and "To Kill a Mockingbird".   These issues mostly center around the protagonist being a "White Savior" for the black characters and, thusly, both stories contribute to the monster that is White privilege. (although there has been some "progress" because the white savior in "The Help" was at least a woman, and not a suit-clad man like Atticus Finch)





The realization that these movies where not what I always thought threw me for a loop, and left me a little stunned.  I truly believed these were anti-racist movies.   "To Kill a Mockingbird" has always been one of my favorite books/movies.  I have always related to the character Scout.  Did I have to ban these movies from my life now?  Did I have to say goodbye to Scout?

I mentioned this to my husband.   I asked him if I had to stop watching these beloved movies just like I stopped watching M*A*S*H.  

He said to me, "It was easy for you to stop watching M*A*S*H because you loved me."

At first I thought he was giving me permission to keep watching the movies I loved, but I don't think that's what he was saying.

I think he was saying that that was easy, but the next step will be harder.  The next step will be the steeper part of the mountain.

I believe many white people have soft spots for a group that is marginalized.
This is usually the result of loving someone who is Black, Asian, Latino, Gay, Trans, etc.
It is easy to fight for the group, if someone we love is a target of hate.

It is so much harder to grow that soft spot to encompass all the marginalized groups.
All the people.

If my own experience is at all universal, we will all eventually love someone who is:
Black
Asian
Latino
Gay
Trans
and the list goes on.

So, why not just start loving all the groups now?
Why not make it easy for ourselves to become more anti-racist and less white privileged by loving all the people?

Does this mean we have to stop watching/reading "M*A*S*H" and "The Help" and "To Kill a Mockingbird"?   I'm not really sure I have the answer to that question. 

I do think we have to stop saying, "but it's such a good show/movie".
I do think we have to stop saying, "I'm going to watch it anyway".

We have to start thinking about how these movies portray the people we love, and the people we will love,   and all the colors of the rainbow.

Note:  the Black Lives Matter movement has carefully curated a list of movies that are now available on Netflix to view.   Perhaps we should put Skeeter and Scout on the shelf for a while and give these titles our full attention.
 
Second Note:  I had my husband proof read this for a "white privilege" check.  Something I gotta do when I write anything about race.

Comments

  1. Hi Deb -

    Great article. Thought-provoking as usual.

    I thoroughly agree about the need to open the aperture on our love to encompass all people. I'm not sure I agree, though, that "The Help" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" having white protagonists renders them lesser contributors to the race discussion. I believe it is predominantly the responsibility of white people to fix the racial situation in the U.S. since we are the cause/beneficiaries of it, so I think that images of white people owning that responsibility and showing a way forward are not a bad thing. To your point, though, it's a fine line between being an "ally" and being a "savior," and all we can hope for is that our hearts are good and that we stay in dialogue with our marginalized brothers and sisters to keep from stumbling into a savior mentality.

    Oh, and I also agree that we should be reading/watching stories written by POC and with POC protagonists. There is much we need to learn from the marginalized, and much we need to do, to create the world we hope to see.

    Thanks for making me think today! I'm so thankful for you!

    - Gerald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your eloquent response Gerald. You have also made me think. There is certainly a lot to digest and consider when it comes to these stories and the roles race plays in them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts