Corona Letters #70 - A Pandemic Couple part 2. (Illustrated by Gene Lee)

 

Sam and Alex
Illustrations by Gene Lee



Meet Alex and Sam.  Alex and Sam are a fictional, gender non-specific couple that have been living and working from home together (during the pandemic) for the last year.   Any similarities to real, actual couples is completely coincidental.

The Grocery Run

Sam: Hey!  I was just unloading the groceries and was curious why you bought 10 cans of pumpkin?

Alex:   They were out last time I went so I stocked up.

Sam:  It's March and we haven't eaten anything with pumpkin since November.

Alex: We need to be prepared for emergencies.

Sam:   Pumpkin Emergencies?



More Groceries

Alex:  BTW, They were out of Tortillas at the store so I bought Pitas

Sam:  Ok

Alex:  The ground beef was too expensive so I bought ground turkey

Sam:  That's fine

Alex:  They didn't have 1% milk so I bought 2%

Sam:  A little extra fat never hurt anyone

Alex:  Also they were out of lettuce

Sam:  So, did you get spinach?

Alex:  No.  No, I did not.

Sam: So what did you get instead?

Alex: four pints of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey!

Sam:  Fair trade

The Outfit



Alex:   Don't you have a Zoom call with your boss today?

Sam:    Yes.  Why?

Alex:  You have lettuce on your shirt.   

Sam:  I can just flick that off.

Alex:   What about the bacon, egg and the avocado?  Are you going to flick those off too?

Sam: What are you trying to say?

Alex:  Change your shirt.  It's been 3 days.   You are a walking Cobb salad


Middle of the Night Conversations


Sam: I can't sleep

Alex:  Me either

Sam: Wanna pretend that it's not the pandemic and we're going out to dinner?

Alex:  Okay, I guess.

Sam:  Where should we go?

Alex:  How about that big steak place?

Sam:  But it's so noisy! And expensive!

Alex:  The seafood place?

Sam:  It's March!  I only eat seafood in the summer!

Alex:  You pick!

Sam:  I'll go wherever you want to go!

Alex:  Actually, I could really go for Chinese.

Sam:  Sigh.

Alex:  What?

Sam:  Let's just stay home.


Watching a Movie


Alex:  Hey!  That movie you've been wanting to see is available on Prime!

Sam:  Oh yay!  Let's watch it!

Alex:  But it's $20.

Sam:  Bummer.  I guess we should find something free to watch

(Alex scrolling through free movies)

Sam:  You know, if we went to the theater we'd have to buy tickets.

(Alex still scrolling)

Sam:  And.....the expensive theater popcorn

(more scrolling)

Sam:  And we'd probably spend a lot of money on dinner and drinks.

(Alex clicks on aforementioned movie, agreeing to pay $20)

Sam:  Oh.  You didn't have to do that!

Alex:  (eyeroll)



A Yummy Lunch

Alex: It smells so good!  Did you make lunch?

Sam:  Yup.

Alex:  What did you make.

Sam:  A Reuben

Alex:  Yum!  Did you make me one?

Sam:  Nope.

Alex: (disappointed). That's okay.  I'll just make myself one.

Sam:  Can't

Alex:  Why?

Sam:  I used the last of the rye bread

Alex: I'll make it on white then

Sam:  Can't

Alex:  Why?

Sam:  I used the last of the corn beef.

Alex:   What should I have for lunch then?

Sam:  I don't know.  There's plenty of pumpkin.







Comments

Popular Posts