Corona Letters #60 - A Corona Christmas is..........

 Christmas is in two days.  This means that I hope you have all your shopping done and that now you can just relax (haha) and just enjoy your family (like you haven't been doing that for the last 9 months).  Seriously, this season has been different.  There are all sorts of feels that are new this year, some good and some not so good.   Here are some thoughts and observations I have had/made this holiday season:

1.  Christmas songs make me cry more.  



I have never felt more nostalgic or sentimental about the way things "used to be" than I am this year.  Perhaps it's because my daughter, who lives quite far away, kept vacillating on whether she wanted to take the risk and come home, or not, but songs like "I'll be Home for Christmas" have turned me into a weepy mess.   And just maybe, or maybe not, just typing that last sentence brought a tear to my eye.  You'll never know, will you?.

2.   Jeff Bezos could become legit Santa.


This pandemic has been very good for Amazon/Jeff Bezos.   He could probably afford to pay/refund payments for all the presents that have been bought over Amazon in the last few weeks/months and declare himself Santa in human form.   Everyone would rejoice!   Ain't gonna happen, but it's a nice thought.  C'mon Jeff?!

3. You don't need Christmas parties to bring joy to others.



At the beginning of this month a friend was lamenting the loss of social gatherings this season, and all the joy that brought her (and others).  I told her that there was no reason that she couldn't bring joy to her friends/family by leaving gifts on doorsteps and having a quick socially distanced, masked visits.   I told her that I planned to find a way to bring people joy every day in December.  And I absolutely did that......on December 1st.  On December 2nd I bought my daughter Starbucks and that made her happy.  On December 3rd, I sat on the couch and ate Christmas cookies and that brought ME joy, and yeah, that's pretty much what the rest of the month looked like.     

4. Secret Santa IS alive

Despite what I said above, the Christmas spirit seems to be very much alive this year.   It is not unusual to go outside to take the dog out and find a plate of cookies or bottle of something on our entry way.   It seems that the pandemic has given people the time they've never had before to get creative and spread Christmas cheer.

5.  Christmas Cards make me cry more

Don't look for yourself.  This image was downloaded.
Our cards are not as nicely displayed.

There have been years where I haven't had time to truly appreciate all the cards we had received.  This year I find myself looking at each card, knowing that all those smiling faces have endured a difficult year at best.   It's so good to see them and this year it has made me realize how easy it is to get out of touch with people we truly care about.   I miss familiar faces in a way I haven't before and I wish every one good health and some well deserved joy.  If you sent us a card this year, thank you.   If you didn't, no worries, I totally get it.

6. The "It takes a village" thing is real

This isn't you either.


We've been pretty good about social distancing and mask wearing but that doesn't mean we haven't connected with friends this year.   This year would have been a lot more difficult without masked walks through the woods (that would sound creepy in a different year), backyard lunches and bonfires, porch chats, zoom calls and other small but important ways of connecting.    I am so deeply grateful to those far and near who have helped my family and me find our way through this year.   Ok, now I'm crying again.

7. Nature takes center stage

Not my backyard.  But, it's pretty

There is suddenly time to appreciate the world around us.   We have time to sit at a window and watch the snowflakes fall and cover the earth.   We have time to find a fantastic place to watch two planets meet in the sky, like they never have before in our lifetime, and never will again.   We have time to watch a fire flicker.   We have time to play with our dogs in the snow (cats don't play in the snow, do they?).  We have time to drive through neighborhoods that aren't are own and marvel at the lights.   In this crazy technological age, there is time to make things simpler, slow down and notice everything we have been walking by so quickly.  It feels healing and magical.

8.  Jeff Bezos would be nothing without his delivery people


I am amazed at the people who have the herculean task of making Christmas happen this year by delivering packages.   No one wants to go to the mall so everyone is shopping on-line, whether it's at Amazon or Etsy, and all that stuff needs to get to where it's going.   The other night I saw a UPS truck pulled over on the side of our street.  It was about 9 pm.   His shift wasn't over.  It looked like he was taking a moment to drink his coffee.   The light was on in the back of his truck and I could see just a few packages left on the shelves.   His shift wouldn't be over until those packages were delivered.

Sometimes when I take the dog out for his "last pee", I find a package on our doorstep that wasn't there an hour or two before.   I don't often think of the person who put it there.

What would our Christmas look like without this guy?

What would Jeff Bezos' life look like without this guy?

9.  I really don't have an unhealthy obsession with Jeff Bezos.  



I would like to inherit his fortune though.

10.   EVERYONE is deserving of holiday kindness this year.

The other day I was in the Dunkin' Donuts drive thru and I decided to pay for the person behind me .   For a long time no one drove in  and I found myself wishing and hoping that it would be a beat up car with someone who looked like they needed someone to show them some kindness.   I certainly didn't want a fancy SUV with some bougie lady to be the receiver of my kindness.  Then I stopped myself and reminded myself that we just don't know.   Sometimes bougie ladies need kindness too, and lattes ;)

We just don't know what anyone is going through.

Maybe someone looks like they have it all together but they are missing someone terribly who is across the country(perhaps by a Golden Gate) this holiday and a free dunkaccino is just what they need to get through the day.

Maybe paired with a holiday cookie? ;)

Happy Holidays to all!

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, let me leave you with this well know holiday song:

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
From now on
Our troubles will be out of sight
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Make the Yule-tide gay
From now on
Our troubles will be miles away
Here we are as in olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more
Through the years we all will be together
If the fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now
Here we are as in olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithfull friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more
Through the years
We all will be together
If the fates allow
So hang a shining star upon the highest bough
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now


AND NOW I'M CRYING AGAIN!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!

 

Comments

Popular Posts