Corona Letters #57 - Things in 2020 that I don't understand


There is a lot in the world that I just don't understand right now, things that just don't make sense.  I am going to make a list of these things in no particular order of importance to me or to the world, but instead in the random order that things pop into my head.  I'm sorry if the order seems non-sensical.

1.   It seems so ironic when ANY media source proclaims that the media doesn't get to decide the election.  They usually say that followed by promoting or denouncing the President or the President-elect.   If the media doesn't get to decide the election then the media needs to STFU!

The voters did their job.  It's been decided.



2.   Why does the current President have the power to hire and fire people willy-nilly when he has been voted out of office?   This makes absolutely no sense and it seems like there should be something in the constitution about this, an amendment at the very least.  Surely, when our forefathers created such a long time between when a new President is voted in, and the official inauguration, they didn't think about this conundrum.   I'm sure they were concerned with how long it takes to move all of one's belongings from Philadelphia to to DC by horse and buggy and how long it takes to write all the necessary documentation with a fountain pen.   I bet they weren't concerning themselves with the out-going President having a huge temper tantrum, using what's left of his power to prove voter fraud, and hiring and firing high ranking governmental officials based on whether they agree with him or not, all while he largely ignores a pandemic that is devastating the country.  How could the forefathers even imagined this scenario?



3.  Do you ever see someone in the grocery store who is dressed like we are still in 2019?   They are all snazzy in a suit and tie or heels and a skirt with panty hose and a impeccably made up face?  Where are these people going?   Recently, upon seeing a woman in the grocery store all dressed up for a corporate work place I tried to think of a place where one would still be required to dress like that.  The only thing I could come up with is,  Funeral Home director.  I think I would want them to look nice, pretty much everyone else should be in sweats.    



4. Why do really rich/celebrity people ask all of us "regular people" to donate money to different relief causes?    When a celebrity comes on TV or on my newsfeed and asks me to donate just $25. to the cause they are promoting it makes me indignant.  Why don't you donate that $25. in my name?  It will effect you a lot less than it will effect me. Ok?   

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to give(within my financial ability) to causes that other "regular people" are humbly requesting donations for, but if you are a celebrity worth millions of dollars please don't ask me for my money.

Read more here

5. Speaking of rich people and celebrities,  why does EVERYONE want to take credit for the vaccines that scientists have worked so hard to find.   I saw an article that Dolly Parton donated a million dollars to Moderna Pharmaceuticals and that donation helped towards finding a vaccine.    That is wonderful and I am so GRATEFUL that Dolly Parton made that donation and didn't ask for any of my money BUT, why are we giving any credit to Dolly Parton or the President for the finding of a vaccine?   That belongs 100% to scientists.   Do you know the names of any of the scientists who have toiled for hours to find this vaccine?  Why don't we give credit where credit is due?   Have you ever heard a scientist take credit for keeping Dolly Parton healthy with all their vaccines so she can sing her grammy winning songs?  No.

Note:  Dolly Parton did not promote the fact that she donated to Moderna, the media did.   Dolly made the donation as humbly as she does everything, so there is no hate for her. 

Still a humble  AF rock star

Can the media just please go away?

Wait.  Am I considered media by writing a blog?

Nevermind.

6. Why are there people who still refuse to wear masks?    This makes no sense at all.  If Covid-19 is just a  thing the radical-left media made up, will it hurt you to wear it?   No.   If it is a potentially life-threatening virus and wearing a mask could potentially save your life, is it worth wearing?  Yes.

I'm talking to you North and South Dakota.



7.   Why are middle aged white women are the villains of the pandemic, you know, "Karen"?  I didn't mind the "Karen" meme at first but now it's making me a little indignant.   I mean, am I never allowed to complain to a manager again?   I guess not.

Can we please start calling people throwing temper tantrums when things don't go their way "Donalds"?  Can we start calling the wingman to any bully "Rudy"?  And don't even get me started on the "Mitches" and the "Lindseys" of the world.

Note:  Before anyone gets up in my face, I understand my privilege as a middle-aged white woman.




8.  Why the hell did we send college students back to school this fall?  Did they learn anything other than how to fight depression and isolation?   Or how to make it look like they are paying attention on Zoom?  Or how to ask for yet another extension on a paper because their depression is paralyzing? 

I understand that many colleges would have not been able to financially survive a shut down but I think sending our kids to college during this pandemic was a really dumb thing to do (my own family included) Colleges have certainly never cared about our financial well being, why are we suddenly so concerned with theirs?



9.   Why certain items seem to be hard to get from the grocery store.   Sure, I understand certain items like Toilet paper and cleaning supplies, but sometimes completely random items seem to be out of stock and it varies from week to week.    One week it was canned pumpkin, another week it was spaghetti sauce, then all the seltzer disappeared from the water aisle.   Strangely, of all the flavored cranberry juices, Cranberry-Lime has become impossible to find.   There is cran-raspberry, cran-orange, cran-mango but good luck finding cran-lime.    This wouldn't be as odd if it was just at one grocery store but it seems to be true across the board.    And, it can change from week to week.  For example, now every grocery store seems to have a surplus of all things pumpkin.



10.   With a vaccine almost in our grasp, and the end of this pandemic in sight, why won't people just do what they need to do and stop the super spreading?   If you can't have a wedding with less than 300 people , then wait until this is all over.  The same goes for grad parties, football games, and to be perfectly frank, funerals.  Look, the deceased is literally is going nowhere so wait a few months and then have a lovely memorial service.   Why have a big Thanksgiving get together?  Just wait until Easter or the 4th of July!  We're almost to the finish line and I think we all know what we have to do to get there, so let's do this!  Let's ALL get to the finish line.  Let's not lose anyone else between here and there.

I'm looking at you North and South Dakota!


11. I bet you thought I'd stop at 10.   I don't understand how algorithms work on social media.   I don't know how many people this blog will reach or how many will actually read it.     I am trying my hardest not to care if anyone reads these.  If you made it this far, thank you.   I appreciate you.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts