Corona Letters #13 - Sunday Thoughts

Dear Fellow Quarantiners,

Sundays, for this blogger, are about reflection and seeing the positive.
Today this will be a bit of a challenge because it's raining outside.   The outside is the one of the few joyful places that hasn't been taken away from us, not yet anyway.    Today however, the rain will make it more difficult, but not impossible to enjoy being outside of the house.  Perhaps some puddle jumping is in order?   Put on those Wellies and go splash around in the mud!

***************

Over the past few days I've noticed more and more people posting their "memories" of better days on Facebook.   Most of these pictures include groups of people, perhaps hugging, in public spaces.  It seems hard to fathom that this was possible.   So, I'd like to propose a challenge for all of you.  You don't have to do it, but it might be fun for you.   Post a picture on Facebook of what your world looks like today.   It could be of people, of an overflowing pantry of food, or like I have done, a stack of toilet paper.  In any case, make it a picture that will mentally bring you back to this day a year from now.   Then maybe write a few words about everything happening in your world.   In my case, I might write,

I am currently living with my husband, my college-aged daughter, my Mother-in-Law and our dog.   We are doing our best to minimize our interactions with the world, for ourselves, but also for my Mother-in-Law who just came home from the hospital.   Today we will probably be stuck inside because it is raining and that will make it a longer day.   I'm guessing we will spend the day reading, baking (daughter), and playing on our phones.

That might seem pretty boring but a year from now it will be enough for me to remember this day.  This dreary day.   And, what I am hoping, is that a year from now we will be in a better place, I might not even see my "memory" because I am out all day with friends, or at a restaurant with my family, or maybe traveling in a faraway land.   I think it will be only a positive thing to do this because it will give me the chance to be grateful for what I have in the present (the present a year from now), and perhaps my reflection will be that it wasn't so bad to spend quality time with my people for a while.   Anyway, you don't have to do it, it's just a suggestion, and you don't even have to do it on social media.   Write it down in a journal or make a family journal and all write entries of what this day was like.   I guarantee you that it will be interesting to look back on a year from now and maybe more interesting 5 years, 10 year, and even 20 years from now.

************


Yesterday my friend Jen nominated me to post a picture of my dog for 10 days.   I'm not going to participate not because I don't love my dog, but because I do, and frankly, I post enough pictures of him already.   

I've seen so many posts about pets on social media, mostly how dogs love quarantine because their people are all around and how cats hate it for the exact same reason.    Our dog loves having us all here.   And, he seems to know when we are having a tough time and need a snuggle.

Keep posting pictures of your pets!  I think pictures of animals make everyone smile!

*********

I've written about the high school and college students before and I've given them huge props for being incredibly adaptive during these uncertain times, but I want to give them another shout out.   Young people get a lot of bad press for their addiction to social media and their lack of ability to interact face to face.   But, look at them now.   These kids were plucked from their worlds and told to go home and stay/study there.   "You won't see your friends anymore", "You can't live in your dorm" "You won't get a prom" "You won't get a normal graduation" and for the most part they are stepping up to the plate and saying, "Okay.  I'll do this for the greater good."   Not only that but many of these kids are coming back to households with parents or grandparents that are vunerable so they have to take extra precautions.    Or some of them, without vulnerable people at home, are working as bag boys or stock girls and dealing with irate customers who blame them for the lack of toilet paper in the stores.  They are not as afraid of the virus as older people are and are willing to put themselves on the line to volunteer giving blood, plasma, or delivering food to people who can't get out.   When this is all over let's not forget what these kids sacrificed for the greater good.  Yeah, there were the idiots who went on spring break but I believe there are far more "kids" who are stepping up to the plate, by stepping away from the plate (does that metaphor make sense?).

*********

I hope you all find something positive to reflect on today.

Take Care!  Stay Connected!  Stay Virus Free!

Deb

Comments

Popular Posts